Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Final Countdown!

I never had the desire to run a marathon before, but 16 weeks ago, fresh out of surgery and wondering what the hell I was going to do, it became the obvious answer. It seems like just yesterday I was sneaking off to the treadmill, keeping my bandaged arm elevated while I ran to minimize the throbbing pain. I could get through a mile or two before I had to stop.

Ten days post-op, the healing was going well and I went into a removable brace instead of a cast. With that, I started running again in Central Park. Sure, I got some weird looks, but I was just happy to be out there. My days throughout July, August and September consisted mostly of training for the marathon and visiting the hand therapist. Not very exciting!

But here I am, less than a week to go, and I feel ready and excited for the day to finally arrive. My bib number is 9647 and I depart Staten Island in the first wave of runners at 9:40 am. My goal has been to run at a pace that will get me to the finish by around 1:00 pm. Athlete tracking, if you wish to do so, is available here: http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/athlete_alert.htm.

I can't wait!

2 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Good luck and enjoy your reward for all your hard work.

Claire said...

you are such an inspiration ... and so freaking tough .. I love you and I`m SO happy we get to run our first marathons together