Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Mashomack Preserve

I had an amazing long weekend on the water, with lots of trail running, open water swimming, grilling and relaxing in the sun. I also got to spend a lot of time with my family, including my adorable new nephew, Bobby.

On Sunday, I discovered Mashomack Preserve, a Nature Conservancy-managed plot of land that covers 1/3 of Shelter Island. It's got some amazing trails, perfect for running (though I'm pretty sure they're meant for hiking), that take you past salt ponds and woodlands, and offer breathtaking views of the ocean. Getting there by boat, I had to run about 2 miles along the beach before I found a section where I could duck into the trail, but once there, I was free to run a spectacular 10-mile loop. As hot as it was, I couldn't stop getting chills thinking about how lucky I was to be there in the midst of such beauty.

I also did a good bit of swimming in Coecles Harbor, which was perfect after a long run. I'm already looking forward to this weekend so I can go back and do it all again.

Then, it's off to Maryland for the Eagleman 70.3 triathlon! I can't believe it's almost here. When I decided I'm doing this race, I was still recovering from my broken wrist, so it's been the driving force in all my training since then. I feel really strong and ready, and although it's my first 1/2 ironman since October 2008, I just keep reminding myself how much I enjoyed that race and how well my body took to long-distance racing. I've learned a lot since then and I can't wait to put all my training and experience into action.

No comments: