Wednesday, January 26, 2011

My swim with a hero

I'm the kind of person who just puts herself out there all the time. Often, this leads to disappointment, heartbreak and frustration, and makes me kick myself for being so "open." But then something happens or I meet another really interesting, amazing person and I realize it's a quality I must embrace.

Case in point: about six months ago, I'm swimming, sharing a lane with a big but gentle guy wearing fins. He's creating a decent current and some "chop" and I joke that I'm enjoying it because it's good open water swim practice. He tells me I'm fast and challenges me to a race (him in fins, me not). I grin and accept -- anything to make my swim more exciting.

I happen to be on the side of the lane that has some crazy metal lifeguard chair that's attached in the water by a big metal pole. As I swim past the pole, I hit the back of my hand on it so hard that it instantly turns blue and starts bleeding. We finish the race (which was a close one, btw), he sees my hand and starts apologizing profusely. I think he was more upset about it than I was.

So I hadn't seen him since, but just this Monday, there he is. We recognize each other right away (and of course he still feels bad about my hand). Turns out, he is Marlon Suson, owner of the Ground Zero Museum downtown. Marlon was the official photographer at Ground Zero, the only photographer granted access during the recovery following the attack on 9/11. What Marlon did to document this sad part of American history is unbelievable. I'm visiting his museum this weekend and I recommend anyone who hasn't been there to go as well. Through his museum, Marlon continues to support all the heroes of September 11, 2001.

No comments: