Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Embracing change

Life's been busier than usual. I sometimes wonder how in the world I was able to do as much as I do while also working 40 hrs./week. It's now 5 months since I've left the corporate world and last night was the first time I started to miss it a little. But the weirdest part about that is what I miss. It isn't really the people or job itself, it's the amount of knowledge I gained on a daily basis. I was a financial editor, basically, which meant I was privy to some of the greatest minds' work. This is the last thing I thought I'd miss. Maybe right now, I'm better off not knowing, I'm sure a lot of people on Wall St. would tell me that.

In exchange, I'm completely submersed in triathlon and loving it. After all, this is my true calling and as I get closer to my goal of coaching athletes and attaining my own personal athletic goals, I couldn't feel more blessed for being given the opportunity to pursue it. 

I surprised myself yesterday by how strong I felt in the pool. I did a bit of a time trial just to see where I was and ended up lapping two strong guys I was sharing the fast lane with. It became kind of a game for me because they were pushing me and I just kept pushing back. Ah, competition. It's delicious. I think the drills are working! Now, if only my foot would heal. Still no running for now, which really stinks, but at least I'm keeping up with swimming, biking and strength training. I keep hearing my doctor saying, "you'll come back even stronger if you rest." 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Because your energy is endless! That's how you managed those 40's plus what...another 10 training!

Sorry about you foot. Let me know when it's ok again and we do Rob's first loop:-)

FLATOUT JIM said...

This is the best time of the year to be in the pool. I would look at the foot injury as a little bit of a blessing.