Monday, June 1, 2009

I love NY!

Had a great run in Central Park today. If I followed my usual training schedule, I'd have been on the bike and in the pool, but I wanted to run, so that's what I did. After all, I write my own program, which means I get to change it!

I decided to run an open 5k since most of my run training lately has been either intervals or long distance at an easier pace. I did the 3.1 miles in 20:50, but I knew I could do better, so I walked a little then did a second 3.1. This time in 20:14, which is a 6:30 m/m average and a new personal best! In the back of my mind, I've always wanted to do a sub-20:00 5k race and I now know that's possible!

I got so much encouragement out there, too. First a guy on a bike shouts "great form!" then another rides by and gives me the thumbs up. And as I'm walking home along CPW, an old-ish guy with a cane says, "good morning, beautiful!" Keep in mind, this was after a balls-out run. I think he needs glasses more than that cane, but hey, it still made me smile. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I nerver was in NY ... but I read some blogs ... and I'd like to run in central park ... but not in the NY marathon ... I'd like to do myself :)

I hope one day ... :)

Jenn Place said...

Central Park is one of the most motivating places to train. You constantly have other runners and cyclists challenging you as you circle the drive and as good as you may think you are, there's always someone else there who is faster. It's amazing!

Unknown said...

Ok ... I'm thinking to lost myself in central park .. ride or run it's not important :D