Thursday, June 4, 2009

Just when things are going well

I've been having a great week of training. Setting new PRs (after the 20:14 5k run on Monday, I swam a solid, comfortable set of 500s in 7:40-7:44 on Tuesday, then clocked a 17-minute 6.1 mile lap in Central Park on my bike yesterday). I've also been having a much better feeling about where I'm going with triathlon and life in general. Not even minding the rainy weather. Then yesterday afternoon comes along and I get a nice dose of reality.

On my last of 60 box jumps at the gym, I lost my concentration. My legs were already tired when I started, so I shouldn't have even been doing them in the first place, come to think of it. Anyway, on the last one, I missed the landing and scraped about a two-inch gash into my shin. There being no "meat" on the shin bone to begin with, it didn't bleed all that much, but there it was, my bone, staring back at me. Of course I just slapped a bunch of band-aids on it and continued with my workout, but that had to be the adrenaline stopping the pain from hitting me.

It was really painful last night, probably because it's got to be bruised as well, but not as bad this morning. What I'm upset about is that I can't really get in the pool for at least the rest of this week because I need it to heal as much as possible before next week's race in Montauk. 

Today was going to be run and swim, but I guess I'll be sticking to just running. 

3 comments:

Jt Netterville said...

I am so sorry to hear that. I know how much it can hurt afterward, not to mention the impact on training.

That being said, can I call you "crip" 'till it heals up? ;-)

Big Daddy Diesel said...

OUCH!!!!!!!

Jenn Place said...

Thanks for they sympathy, guys. It's still bleeding! I guess where there's not much flesh, every time it starts to close up, it gets opened again. I'm going to stay out of the pool again today, but I think I'll be wrapping my leg in saran wrap under the wetsuit and going out into the open water this weekend.