Sunday, January 18, 2009

Taking the good with the bad

Yesterday's indoor bike session was going to be on my trainer at home, but we had no hot water. So, knowing there wouldn't be a warm shower when I was done if I did it at home, I headed to the gym instead. Apparently, the water tower on top of our building was freezing. This just goes with the territory when you live in an old building and the temperature drops as much as it had, I guess. Anyway, I climbed onto the spin bike at the gym, put on my ipod and got in an hour and a half of steady state riding focusing on trying to keep a lower heart rate at a high cadence and smooth, round pedal strokes.  I prefer outdoor workouts whenever possible, but it was good because when you remove the variables of outdoor riding, it gives you the ability to focus more on things like form, cadence, stroke, etc. with no distractions. 

I wish today's run was just as good, but the roads were slippery and the tendonitis in my foot started acting up almost right away. My stabilizer muscles had to work more than usual to prevent me from slipping and I think that's part of the reason why. I'm seeing a great chiropractor who does active release therapy, so I remain optimistic that it's going to be back to normal soon. 

No comments: