Thursday, January 29, 2009

Me & My Shadow

My chiropractor and I've decided to work on correcting the problems which have caused the tendonitis in my foot before we go right into orthotics. These problems have to do with running biomechanics, proper form and all that fun stuff. I'm trying hard to overcome some of the bad habits I've developed and improve on other variables which should help me become more efficient and injury free (read: faster!).

I just returned from a 6-mile run around Central Park which was more exhausting than it normally would be all because of body awareness. The entire run, it was: "shoulders relaxed, don't overstride, chin up!" When I rounded a turn and saw my shadow running alongside me, I told it to lean forward a little more (I have a tendency to lean backward and that's not using gravity to my greatest advantage).

I was also thinking a lot about elasticity and energy return. Every step is energy hitting the ground. Don't give all that energy away to the earth take what you can back in the form of forward propulsion (be elastic) but do not bounce! After all, you want to move forward, not upward. Elasticity is also important for injury prevention. Core strength, center of gravity, what you do with your arms (don't let them cross the body; keep them pumping at your side) and cadence (kind of goes with don't overstride). Running is not simply put one foot in front of the other, that's for sure. 

Next up is a trip to the gym. I'll be doing more strength, core and balance exercises. Then a visit to the chiropractor. Busy day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if I hear a lot of humor in there;-)

Glad you are considering other options before jumping to orthotics. So strange, when I think of you I see a runner with a super posture - really.

See you later!

Jenn Place said...

Haha. Thanks, Steph. I think my form is pretty good, too, but then if it was perfect, I wouldn't have ITB pain over the summer and now tendon problems in my foot, right? I'm looking forward to tonight. I just got back from taking Linus to the vet and need a beer to ease the pain of the bills. See you at 6:30!

MOM and DAD said...

Hey Jenn, great job! Enjoyed reading about all the new and exciting things going on in your life. As always, you give 110% of yourself and come out a winner. We are very proud and happy for you. Take care of yourself! We love you!!

Jenn Place said...

Thanks, mom and dad! Love you, too. :)