Monday, January 12, 2009

Obama kicks. Huh?

Today was one of the busiest days I've had in a long time. I was running all over the city for different reasons (good thing I found an old, unactivated unlimited Metrocard in my gym bag. I picked a good month to use it). It was all good, though.

I was able to get to the gym for a decent 1-hour workout. I wanted to run in the park, but it's probably better that I went to throw some weights around instead. It's freezing out there!  I warmed up with a light medicine ball and pushups then on to some unassisted pullups using various grips supersetted with cable swimmers and squats on a balance board. Then I moved on to the fun stuff. Superset of box jumps with various kettlebell swings. And then one last superset of different shoulder exercises, step ups on the bench and tricep dips. Finished with some balance ball leg work a bit of abs and I was on my way. 

Okay, I've got the news on in the background and there's a segment about a new "Obama sneaker" some guy has produced. Apparently, this is newsworthy enough for a "man on the street" interview and there's a reporter at a shoe store ready to pounce. He chooses a hip looking 30-something dude and asks, "Would you buy this sneaker?" "No," the dude dryly responds with a shrug. Putting his best investigative foot forward, the reporter leans in. "Why not?" Here we go, now we're getting somewhere. Hip dude blankly looks at the reporter, as if he's got so many reasons why this entire scenario is completely ridiculous that he doesn't even know where to start. Realizing this is a news segment -- about Obama sneakers -- he knows exactly what to say. "Because they're whack." Priceless.

No comments: